Art History Assignment (Expressionism)

I decided to do my art history assignment on the movement Expressionism. The reason why I choose this is because I am the type of person to show my feeling through my artwork so I wanted to research on how it was used in the 20th century.

Expressionism started in 1905.

Expressionism is an intense personal art form and is a way of showing the artists feelings rather than an analysis. Paint strokes used to show expressionism is swaying, swirling, and aggravated lines to show a mood or a certain type of feeling. The whole point of expressionism is to trigger an emotional state in people who look at it.

Vincent Van Gogh (1853-90)
Van Gogh used form and color to convey his inner feelings. His brushstrokes were a close reflection of his feelings he painted.

A famous quote said by Van Gogh was "Instead of trying to reproduce exactly what I see before me, I make more arbitrary use of color to express myself more forcefully"

The main artwork that I looked at the most was "The Potato Eaters" (1885)
This artwork had a very dull pallet, and shows the drab living conditions when he once lived with peasants.



The artist Paul Gauguin (1848-1903), relied on color to express his emotions and he also added symbolism but his high color in paintings is what set him apart from the rest.
What he did was distorted color, scale, and space to convey his subjective feelings about he saw (during the time of the war)



Edward Munch (1863-1944)
The painting that caught my eye was "The Sick Child". In that artwork it represents plenty of different emotions. So when i read up on it I found out that the painting showed death loss, anxiety. His rough brushstrokes, scratched surface and monotone of color made it even more depressing.. This painting was a real time in his life when his mom passed away just like that.

A famous quote aid by Edvard " I do not believe in art which is not compulsive result of mans urge to open his hear"

Die Brucke aimed to achieve freedom in his artwork.

Abstract Expressionism
Jackson Pollock was considered the foremost expressionist becayse he placed his canvas on the floor to pour, drip, splatter paint onto them and to work on them from all sides.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who decides if you are an artist?

3 Part Art Series (continuation)

Fibromyalgia Diagnoses